Monday, July 18, 2011

7.18 Readings


Backwards design is a very deceiving name. Although it seems like something that would be complicated to understand, it is probably the most understandable theory I have read on instructional methods. When I first started reading it, it was like an “ah-ha” moment… how is this so simple and yet made such complete sense??
Because of some computer issues, I was not able to read the article until after class this morning, but I really wish I had a chance to read it beforehand. I feel as though so much time could be saved when making lesson plans if the desired goal is decided before making the details of the lesson. While working through the assignment during class today, we tried to plan our lesson and the details of the activities that we wanted to do and after all of that, then we tried to decide what exactly we wanted our students to learn and get out of the activity. Having that desired goal in mind and the objectives that you want the students to understand makes it that much easier to plan a great and effective lesson.
I think another important aspect of the backward design model is informing the students about the objectives. I am not sure that is involved in other instructional methods, but I think it is one of great importance. The students should not have to be guessing what the end product needs to be, that will just distract from the learning. The goal of education is getting to the students to learn so the more barriers there are in the lessons, the harder it will be for those students to get to the learning level you want them to be at. 

4 comments:

  1. Great points, Elizabeth. For some time, posting the day's objectives on the board was required practice in many schools. In my school we had to write, "TLW (The learner will) understand when to use commas in a series." When I taught grammar, it sure was hard to make the TLWs sound very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, backward design seems like it would be something so complicated.Even when Charlie mentioned it in one of the first days of class, I think we all were a little confused as to what he meant; it was kind of presented as if it was some difficult thing to do!

    I remember doing a lot of projects in high school that would require us to teach the class something and create a lesson plan for half the hour. Part of what we turned in to the teacher would have to include our stated objectives that were adapted from what the teacher told us should be the bare minimum of our lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points about backward design! I think you make an important point - when we don't inform students about what is happening, we potentially lose them in the lesson, making it harder for them to connect to it. As Kristin pointed out, it can be hard to make these objectives seem interesting. I wonder what other ways we can inform students of the end goals of an activity, lesson, unit, etc.. so that they not only understand, but have a vested interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it ironic that the one theory we most all understand easily is titled "backward design"?

    I agree though, backward design is a very common sense, straight-forward approach, and one that help my group out greatly in the Brandon Center. Specifying the overall goal and using it to formulate the lesson will prove mighty handy in the future!

    ReplyDelete