Sunday, July 31, 2011

Advice from MACers


Friday’s class was so great! We met so many great teachers that taught us a lot. It is always nice to hear from teachers, but it is even better when the teachers are former MACers. Since we are in a unique program, it’s so great to hear how things have worked out for people that have once been in our shoes. I definitely liked hearing from Lauren the most. It was great that we could talk with some of her students and ask them questions about how she runs the classroom. I was really surprised to hear just how much cell phones are allowed in the classrooms these days. I just feel like I would get so distracted if I was in the classroom and students were whipping out phones and texting all the time. I think it’s rude when people do it to me in general, let alone when I am trying to teach a lesson. Understanding that most of my students, especially in high school are going to have cell phones I will need to figure out my own rules for my classroom.

I also really enjoyed hearing about all the ways that Lauren got around her technology problems. One thing that I am worried about is that some of my students will not have Internet access. I want to have my students doing up-to-date projects and I want them to have access to all the possibilities that other students around the country are afforded. Not having Internet access seems like it could be a problem, but I have learned some great tips from Lauren. Allowing the students to complete the assignments in class if computers are available and assigning Internet assignments well in advanced are some of the great options that Lauren talked about. Another great idea that I took away from Lauren was her idea of having office hours on Facebook during the week. I think that is such a great idea! Why not utilize the technology that we have? I wish I would have had virtual office hours with my teachers growing up. There were so many times when I needed help with my homework or project and as I got older it was harder for my parents to understand what I was doing. Having a teacher online, able to answer questions is such a great idea. Hopefully, I can be as unspiritual as Lauren is one day! 

4 comments:

  1. After seeing her on news clips and talking to her in person, I think that Lauren is kind of awesome. Her Facebook office hours are an interesting idea, not just because it allows her students to access her after school, but also because I think there was a demand from her students to reach her. That's what happens with good teachers who inspire their students; students won't leave them alone.

    With any luck (and practice, right?), I hope that the MAC program helps us be the same way someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was great that we got to hear from all of them as well and I was particularly interested to hear how Lauren gets around some of her tech issues (that was actually my question for her on my note card and I am sure I was not the only one). I also had wondered about students who don't have internet or computer access. As Lauren mentioned 30% of the students at her school do not, so while that does not stop her from using online programs, she has to adjust - giving them a few days, coming in early so students can use the computers in class,etc.

    I totally loved the idea of FB office hours as well! I never would have thought of it, but I can see the value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too enjoyed the office hours idea for facebook, but again, it would have to be in the most professional of settings. There is also a chat feature on Google, and just being in your Google account might be more conducive to engaging in homework instead of being on facebook with your other 1000 friends.

    On the topic of ettiquette, even if we take phones or computers away, there will still be problems. Kids have been passing notes in class for hundreds of years, and if they aren't playing a video game they might just be doodling on their book cover. A more proactive approach would be to simply find a better way to engage than to take away distractions. An adolescent brain can produce distractions out of anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you found Friday's session to be useful, Elizabeth, and your post sparked some interesting comments. Her efforts to try to accommodate her students are inspiring, aren't they? We collaborated last year on a presentation at the National Council for Teachers of English about work together on a poetry project, and the hands-down highlight was two of her students who made the trip to present their work. It was patently obvious that they had bonded in a big way with Lauren, and the fact that she is as caring, and as genuine as she is played a huge part in that.
    To pick up on just a couple of comments, the comment Curtis made about the "baggage" that FB brings is apt...is it worth it to go directly where the students are?
    I must add that the question that Curtis concludes on about dealing with distractions is right on the money. Where's the optimal balance between rules of the road, and the teacher providing a compelling curriculum along with attending explicitly to matters of classroom environment. It's a tricky matter, and one that doesn't fade away even at the college level.

    ReplyDelete